Thursday, September 3, 2009
SEO for Blogs
While there are many reasons to blog, there are two primary uses that are becoming more widespread with blogging: To game Google Adsense, and to also game the search engines for better rankings.
Since Blogs are known to the search engines as daily snippets of information that are updated on a frequent basis, they get a lot of preference in the search results.
So from this, how do you optimize your blog?
Depending on the service you utilize, there are still some basics that you can apply. The two biggest blogging sites are WordPress and Blogger. If you are looking for an advantage with SEO, you should use Blogger since they are owned by Google, and you'll be indexed quicker.
Blogs aren't all that much different than a site. The power of a blog is from the frequency of the posting. If the search engines see a pattern of 3 postings per day, they will be very active on spidering that site. Depending on the topic of the blog, you may be able to boost your blog in the rankings if it's related to a hot topic on the Internet.
Now, to the actual optimization.
Since blogs are typically a few pages long, you only need to establish a few rules that will be applied sitewide:
* Use an interesting title - Also known as linkbaiting - your title should captivate the user to read more
* Try to use your blog keywords in the title - while it may be hard to always do this, by keeping the title related to the topic, your blog will always be relevant
* Use the H1 tags - All blog editors allow for custom templates, so be sure to stylize your blog title in the H1 tags
* Link to other blogs - Find other related blogs that your readers might find interesting, and ask for a link in return
* Don't forget about your archives - You may post a topic that isn't hot at the moment, but comes up later - make sure your readers can find that posting
As stated above, the key to a successful blog is frequent postings. You don't need to write up an article everytime, two paragraphs and maybe some resource links is what a typical posting should be comprised of.
-To your online success!